Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Yesterday I sat and watched my television as a massive F5 tornado tore through a town 20 miles south of my house.  In the hours that passed by after the storm, I watched in horror as schools were shown completely destroyed, homes were removed completely from foundations, people were separated from their loved ones, and hospitals filled with the injured.
The worst part was watching into the early morning hours as rescuers scoured through the remains of one elementary school, knowing that chances of finding any survivors was slim.  I cannot imagine what the parents of the school children were thinking as they watched these scenes unfold.  Even more, I cannot comprehend what emotions must be coursing through the bodies and souls of these suddenly homeless, childless parents as they watched the sun rise on the day after.  And, now as I watch the rain fall out my window I am at a loss as to what to think, what to feel.
Then I suddenly think about all of the people who went out to help immediately after the storms.  I think about the undertakings of relief efforts that have begun through our church, and other churches, through the university I work at, through tv stations, radio stations, scout troops, daycares, schools, and thousands of individuals pouring out of themselves to help those who now have nothing.  I read about folks from Joplin who went through this not long ago rallying troops to come aid in relief.  I hear stories of fire units, police units, and emergency medical units from all over the state, all over the country coming to Moore just to lend a helping hand.  And I am moved.  I am proud.  I am renewed in faith, refreshed in Spirit.
My heart goes out to these people.  My neighbors.  My friends.  My family.  I hope that my children never know this kind of loss, but I pray that if they do, they experience the love, service, and act of faithfulness that I'm seeing played out in my state today.  And really, isn't that what every daddy desires?

No comments:

Post a Comment